This document describes the Custom Event functionality of Edge Connect.
Edge Connect has the following standard event types:
advertisement: for incoming BLE Advertisements
cloud: for incoming Cloud messages
deviceStatus: for device status events from a device group
device[Detected|Assigned|Health]: device type related events
any: for matching any event type
An event type with a name not in the list above is a custom event type in Edge Connect. Custom event types may be used to organize processing of data into smaller more manageable stages.
For example, if using a custom sensor with a complicated protocol, processing of the sensor data could be organized into 2 pipelines:
- a pipeline to collect the data from the sensor and emit the sensor
data in a custom event
- a pipeline which receives the custom event, formats the data, and publishes a
message to the cloud
Custom events are also used to receive the output of a
Processing a Custom Event
Custom events are processed in a pipeline like any other event.
- To receive a custom event on a pipeline, set eventType to the Custom Event name on a pipeline.
- If multiple specific event types should be handled by a pipeline, a regular expression for the event type may be used. The regular expression must match the start (with [
^]) or end (with [
$]) of a string.
- If a pipeline handles any event type,
"eventType":"any"can be used.
Emitting a Custom Event
Custom events are emitted in the following ways:
- To emit a custom event from a
emitEventfilter and specify the event name and event payload.
- To emit a custom event from an
Updated 10 days ago